Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Reporting Services Service Won't Start

Good afternoon. I installed SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition on Monday, and I've been trying to look at the Reporting Services. The configurator reports that the service is down, and trying to start it generates this error in the configurator:

Starting report server ReportServer$DIRESEARCH on DIMRS1.

The task failed.

-> Tell me more about the problem and how to resolve it.

Love these specific, helpful errors. This is the detail:

System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException: Time out has expired...

at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.WaitForStatus(ServiceControllerStatus desiredStatus, TimeSpan timeout)

at ReportServicesConfigUI.Panels.ServerInformationPanel.StartStopServiceTask(Boolean start)

The Event Log records these two errors each time I try:

Event ID 121 from Report Server Windows: The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service failed to start.

Event ID 0 from SQL Server Report: Service cannot be started. Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.UnknownUserNameException: The user or group name 'DIMRS1\ASPNET' is not recognized.

...

RPC is running, and seems fine.

If Reporting Services needs an account named "ASPNET," it should create it during install. I tried creating one, no change. The service is configured to use the Local System account, anyway, so I don't know why the error refers to this user. I didn't find anything is RSReportServer.config that seems to relate to which account the service uses. Should I add an entry? If so, where? Does it depend on some application I haven't configured? If so, it should identify the dependency during installation.

I'm trying to be open-minded about this, but this is another example of how MS apps are like AT-ATs: they look cool, but they're slow, top-heavy, and prone to crashing. For god's sake, people, do you think we could get a nice specific error message, here? Throw us a bone! All I can say is that each new version does have more fixes than new bugs.

Thank you,

Jonathan

I looked at my SQL Server Reporting Services Services (ReportServer) and I gave it my account username and credentials. Mine is functioning properly.

You might try giving the service your username and password and see if that works

Also, try uninstalling and then reinstalling. I had SQL Reporting Services for MSSQL2000 installed when I attempted to install MSSQL2005 Reporting Services. It created some problems.

Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment