Friday, March 30, 2012

Reporting Services TIFF export quality

Hi
I've got a question regarding the TIFFs that are generated by Reporting
Services. The problem I am having right now, is that documents that
are exported into TIFFs are in bad quality - i.e. the text does not
seem to be 'ClearTyped'.
I installed the powertoy: ClearTypeTuner for the server, thinking
perhaps that would force the TIFFs to generate fonts with smoothed
edges.
Unfortunately this did not work. I know that cleartype is not
supported through remote desktop. I wonder if this is the case as well
for Reporting Services - when generating a TIFF image from the report
server, cleartype is not supported as well.
I could probably be totally wrong - and would like it if somebody could
just point me in the right direction.
Cheers.TIFF files default to 72 dpi. This makes for smaller files, and is legible
but not very nice looking. Change the device info settings to a higher dpi
and you should be happy with the smoothness of the fonts.
Ted
"sgt_sunshine" wrote:
> Hi
> I've got a question regarding the TIFFs that are generated by Reporting
> Services. The problem I am having right now, is that documents that
> are exported into TIFFs are in bad quality - i.e. the text does not
> seem to be 'ClearTyped'.
> I installed the powertoy: ClearTypeTuner for the server, thinking
> perhaps that would force the TIFFs to generate fonts with smoothed
> edges.
> Unfortunately this did not work. I know that cleartype is not
> supported through remote desktop. I wonder if this is the case as well
> for Reporting Services - when generating a TIFF image from the report
> server, cleartype is not supported as well.
> I could probably be totally wrong - and would like it if somebody could
> just point me in the right direction.
> Cheers.
>|||Yes I have done just that but unfortunately the quality is just not on
par with a PDF document, plus it now takes a longer time to generate a
report at 200 or 300 dpi.
I currently have the reports printing at 200 dpi but I suspect I will
need another workaround.
This problem is related to another I have been having - barcode
printing. If I can solve the barcode printing problem, I should solve
this as well.
Thanks anyway - I wasn't expecting any replies so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment