Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Reporting Services sp2 Client Printing Problem

Hi, I've been using SQL Server 2K Reporting Services since its SP 1 release,
and because the client side printing capability was introduced with SP2 beta,
I jumped right into the beta program and tried it out. It did work well, and
the cabability got the load off my shoulder of having to create my own
printing application. I just had to wait for the SP2 release. Yesterday I got
a mail from the beta program team that SP2 is now ready, so I went ahead and
installed it so that I could now use it in the production enviornment,
thinking this new print button would dramattically increase the reporting
service usage. The client printing is there, but to my surprise, when I
pressed the print icon from the report tool bar from a client, I get the
following message "Error loading resource string. (0x00000000)." I tried it
on another client and on the server itself, I got the same result. I can
still print after hitting "OK" button many times to get to the print dialog
box, and at this stage things work fine, but it seems that printer
information is not passed correctly from the client machine to the print
dialog box, since most of its entries are missing. Since this SP is just
released, I could not find any KB or other articals to troubleshoot this
issue. To complicate the issue further, I am not sure whether this is
happening because I installed it on SP2 beta machine. Anybody please help
me!!You need to clean out any older versions of the controls from your
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files directory. See if that solves your
problem.
--
Brian Welcker
Group Program Manager
Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"RabbitBike" <RabbitBike@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D5468C0D-5D4B-4096-B76B-BE62F1ADE3F2@.microsoft.com...
> Hi, I've been using SQL Server 2K Reporting Services since its SP 1
> release,
> and because the client side printing capability was introduced with SP2
> beta,
> I jumped right into the beta program and tried it out. It did work well,
> and
> the cabability got the load off my shoulder of having to create my own
> printing application. I just had to wait for the SP2 release. Yesterday I
> got
> a mail from the beta program team that SP2 is now ready, so I went ahead
> and
> installed it so that I could now use it in the production enviornment,
> thinking this new print button would dramattically increase the reporting
> service usage. The client printing is there, but to my surprise, when I
> pressed the print icon from the report tool bar from a client, I get the
> following message "Error loading resource string. (0x00000000)." I tried
> it
> on another client and on the server itself, I got the same result. I can
> still print after hitting "OK" button many times to get to the print
> dialog
> box, and at this stage things work fine, but it seems that printer
> information is not passed correctly from the client machine to the print
> dialog box, since most of its entries are missing. Since this SP is just
> released, I could not find any KB or other articals to troubleshoot this
> issue. To complicate the issue further, I am not sure whether this is
> happening because I installed it on SP2 beta machine. Anybody please help
> me!!|||Thank you!! After I deleted the "RSClientPrint Class" activeX control, things
worked as expected. A new file with the same name was downloaded into the
directory, and I remember a client has been asked for the first time they
downloaded it just like any other ActiveX control (and you are asked whether
or not to download the file depending on your IE security setting, right?)
Thank you again, and I apologize for the initial post being that long. I got
too excited in writing about this SP2 release and its printing capability
which I think will make a lot of people happy. And I guess my post applies
only to the beta testers, but I hope your answer will help them when they see
the same problem.
"Brian Welcker" wrote:
> You need to clean out any older versions of the controls from your
> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files directory. See if that solves your
> problem.
> --
> Brian Welcker
> Group Program Manager
> Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> "RabbitBike" <RabbitBike@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D5468C0D-5D4B-4096-B76B-BE62F1ADE3F2@.microsoft.com...
> > Hi, I've been using SQL Server 2K Reporting Services since its SP 1
> > release,
> > and because the client side printing capability was introduced with SP2
> > beta,
> > I jumped right into the beta program and tried it out. It did work well,
> > and
> > the cabability got the load off my shoulder of having to create my own
> > printing application. I just had to wait for the SP2 release. Yesterday I
> > got
> > a mail from the beta program team that SP2 is now ready, so I went ahead
> > and
> > installed it so that I could now use it in the production enviornment,
> > thinking this new print button would dramattically increase the reporting
> > service usage. The client printing is there, but to my surprise, when I
> > pressed the print icon from the report tool bar from a client, I get the
> > following message "Error loading resource string. (0x00000000)." I tried
> > it
> > on another client and on the server itself, I got the same result. I can
> > still print after hitting "OK" button many times to get to the print
> > dialog
> > box, and at this stage things work fine, but it seems that printer
> > information is not passed correctly from the client machine to the print
> > dialog box, since most of its entries are missing. Since this SP is just
> > released, I could not find any KB or other articals to troubleshoot this
> > issue. To complicate the issue further, I am not sure whether this is
> > happening because I installed it on SP2 beta machine. Anybody please help
> > me!!
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment